Monday, July 22, 2013

What It Feels Like To Be Katrina Taylor!


I grew up in a small Mississippi town where I live today with family. I never liked small towns, but today I feel like it’s finally home. I once dreamed of a big city being my home, living in a nice house, and having a successful profession. I achieved most of my goals only to have it taken away from me. I’ve lost a lot and I’ve gained even more than I could ever imagine. I now know what’s important in life and it’s not what I once dreamed about.
2006 was the year that would change my life, send me home, and teach me a life lesson that I would never forget. August 1, 2006 is the exact date that I was told that I have multiple sclerosis. I was living what I thought was the perfect life with my husband and two sons in a gated community in Phoenix, AZ working for Banner Health as a registered nurse and attending school full-time for a bachelor’s degree in nursing.

Soon, I was no longer able to work and we had to move back to Mississippi to live with family for about nine months. It was difficult and I was losing myself quickly. A few months later in early 2007, I had a nervous breakdown. I didn’t want to live life anymore; I didn’t know how to deal with all that had happened to me. I received treatment and soon found the strength to cope as much as I could and returned to work as a registered nurse. After only nine months, I had to stop working because of my multiple sclerosis.

February 2009, I was back home living with Mother, divorced, and had custody of only one of my two sons. It was a very difficult time for me and very heartbreaking. I wasn’t really sure what to do with my life; I did not know who I was anymore. As the year went on, so did my depression but with a little help from my friends with multiple sclerosis I learned to finally accept having multiple sclerosis and see the good in life.

After struggles, I see how beautiful life can be. I’m amazed at happy I am even with living with chronic pain and chronic illness. Every day isn’t easy, but with love and support, I am enjoying my life for the first time in a very long time. I want you all to know that I’ve been as low as low can be, but I have climbed to a beautiful place in my life and I could not be happier if I tried to be. Make this life yours and fight multiple sclerosis with seeing the brighter side, because I promise you, there is always a brighter side. Always!

Remember, if life was easy it would be boring. Remember that those rough days do not last forever!

Favorites: Pop Music, Tea & Lemon, Blue, Black Gel-ink, Cute Notebooks, Romance, Crime Shows, Cats, Blankets, Medical Jokes, Roses, Dreaming, Writing, Family, Friends…